Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome, also known as RLS, is a neurological disorder that causes a “creepy-crawly” feeling in the legs, which can only be relieved by moving the legs. Goldman Vein Institute, with multiple locations in Florida, offers treatment for the symptoms of restless leg syndrome. Read on for more information about this condition.
Signs & Symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome is characterized by an overwhelming urge to move the legs, especially at night, while at rest, or while sleeping. Other symptoms of restless leg syndrome include:
- Tingly sensation in the legs
- Nighttime leg twitching, also known as periodic limb movement
- Leg discomfort that becomes greater at night or while at rest
- Lessening of restlessness with activity
- Throbbing, pulling, aching or painful feelings in the legs
Risk Factors for Restless Leg Syndrome
The cause of restless leg syndrome is still unknown, but there are some risk factors associated with this disorder:
- Women are more likely to experience RLS than men.
- RLS is more common in middle-aged women or older, but all ages can experience it.
- Chronic Disease. People suffering from diabetes, kidney failure or peripheral neuropathy are more likely to experience RLS.
- Antihistamines, antipsychotics, antinausea medications and antidepressants can increase the chances of experiencing RLS or worsen already occurring symptoms.
- Pregnancy increases the risk of RLS, especially in the third trimester.
Treatment for Restless Leg Syndrome
Because there is no known cause for restless leg syndrome, the vein doctors at Goldman Vein Institute focus treatment on relieving symptoms. Treatments for the symptoms of restless leg syndrome can include:
- Lifestyle Changes. Reducing the amount of caffeine, tobacco use and alcohol can help to decrease RLS symptoms. Regular exercise and healthy sleep can also reduce symptoms.
- Heat & Massage. Some people find relief from RLS with a hot bath or shower, heating pads or leg massages.
- RLS Medications. There are several FDA-approved medications for the treatment of RLS. These include some neurotransmitters (dopaminergics), benzodiazepines for sleeping, narcotics to relieve pain and anticonvulsants.
Find Treatment for Restless Leg Syndrome at Goldman Vein Institute
Tired of the restless, tingly feeling in your legs that keep you up at night? Turn to the RLS experts at Goldman Vein Institute for relief. Schedule your appointment today by calling us at one of our three convenient Florida locations or by filling out our online request form.